Although not necessary, storm doors offer many benefits. Storm doors in Philadelphia PA have come a long way from flimsy, cheap-looking ones that were easily damaged. A well-constructed storm door serves to enhance your home’s appearance and draw attention to its entryway. Choosing the right door sets off a beautifully-crafted main door and specialized handles and details complete the look.
Some considerations and benefits of storm doors are described below:
- Material Choices. Storm doors are available in wood, metal, vinyl, or plastic, or a combination of these. The least expensive are constructed of plastic or vinyl and typically do not have a wooden core. The higher-end doors are constructed of metal, usually aluminum, which has been extruded or shaped. Doors made with a wooden core provide stability and strength so that they don’t twist or dent easily. The aluminum cladding is maintenance free, although it can be scratched. Vinyl storm doors are less expensive to purchase and replace and easy to clean.
- Sizes. Storm Doors in Philadelphia PA come in the standard widths of 30, 32, 34, and 36 inches with front door openings on homes built pre-1990 having a larger opening of 36 inches, versus 32 inches for the rear door. Most are available as pre-hung models that can be hinged on either side.
Storm doors are available in three styles:
- Full View. These doors allow the use of only the glass or screen panel which must be changed and replaced with the unused panel being stored. They allow for maximum, unobstructed view or ventilation depending which panel is used.
- Ventilating. This style allows for both the glass and screen panels in the door. There are two glass panels that may be moved up or down exposing the screen portion of the door.
- Roll screen. The newest model on the market combines the best of both full view and ventilating style doors. The screen is self-stored as it rolls up into a tension bar at the top of the door. This allows a full view through the glass or full ventilation when pulled down, and is an excellent choice for homes with pets or children.
The average life expectancy for a quality storm door distributed by Steeldoorsinc.com is between 20 and 50 years. Storm doors protect the entry door from the elements, saving money on maintenance, and they also help reduce drafts and minimize heat loss and gain.